Monday, February 27, 2012

Veggie Loaded Meatballs

I took no pictures*. And I am a little sad, because I am so excited about these meatballs.  I hope they taste as terrific as I hope!

Veggie Loaded Meatballs -

Combine in a food processor (I used our beaba babycooks ;-) hahah) -
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 small onion
1 small handful of mushrooms
** I roughly chopped my veggies and grated the carrot to make sure they would blend up well in the beaba .. since it is spectacular, but small!

Throw veggies together in a bowl ... add ground beef (I think I used about 2/3 lb) ... Mom likes to use 2 parts ground beef to 1 part ground pork sausage (unflavored).

Add 2 eggs,  any spices you'd like, and lastly 1/2 - 1 c. panko bread crumbs.  I used pinches of dried oregano and basil as well as some garlic powder.  Mom says you can flavor with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, ... so it's pretty open ended to the flavor "profile" you're looking for.  Mom will even whip them together and add the flavor separately ... and freeze them in batches so you can have meatballs on hand for bbq, spaghetti, whatev.

I mixed mine by hand.  Mom likes to use a food processor and whip 'em together until the meat-wad "rolls" in the bowl.  She makes the best meatballs, so I totally recommend this method ... I lack a food processor, so hand-mixing was my best and first choice. ;-)

Form by hand or use a cookie-scooper.  Mom bakes them on a 4-sided cookie sheet ... I put mine on a wire rack above my foil-lined 9x13 glass pan since I do not own a 4-sided cookie sheet.

Hope Ryan likes 'em!  I don't plan on telling him about the veggies until it's too late. Muahahah!

Can I say I Manwiched my Meatballs? A hidden serving of veggies in every err ... handful of meatballs.  Weight Watchers folks? 1 point per meatball. Not bad!





* I took a picture after they came out of the oven ... they smell FABULOUS. I can't wait to try them <3

No comments:

Post a Comment